Friday, April 08, 2005

SCMS and Visiting London

As promised, I'll post a few photos from London and give a more detailed description of my trip. I was lucky enough to have good weather while I was there. In fact, I didn't have to open my umbrella even once--though I did pack it just in case. Given that this was my first trip to London, I thought it would be ridiculous to come all this way and spend all my time listening to academic papers. So, on a particularly beautiful Saturday afternoon I decided to bail on the conference and explore the city. I went off in search of the Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, London Bridge, and anything else I might find along the way. Here are a few pictures and comments from the journey.

Although I had a little pop-up pocket map with me, I started my walking trip without a particular destination in mind. My only plan was to get off at the Bank station and head for Bankside, south of the River Thames. After wandering a bit, I found myself in the middle of the Borough Market. It was a wonderful place, full of vegetable vendors, people selling sausage and venison, cheese mongers, and candy. I was particularly fascinated by this stand, which had a whole pile of rabbits strung up and ready to be purchased. It reminded me of the rabbits my father would bring home after spending a day hunting. I wondered if these vendors ever turn the feet into toys for their children. I know. Sounds morbid, but I loved that as a child. My father would dry the foot with the tendons exposed and extending from the foot. And, if you pulled the dried tendon just right, the foot would flex, mimicking the motion of the rabbit.


I bought some fabulous goat cheese and a rustic loaf of bread, which I brought back to my hotel and ate over the next few days. Luckily, my suite mate didn't mind the smell of goat cheese! The young man who was selling the cheese told me that he'd been making and selling cheese since he was about ten years old, first for his father who had a stand only a few feet away, and now for another local farmer.

There were several flower vendors at the Market and I wanted to buy big bundles of them to take home with me. Of course, I realized that was simply foolish because I was staying in a cramped hotel. Even so, it gave me tremenodous joy to see other people scooping up armloads of lilies and gardenias.


This dairy shop seemed to be attracting a lot of attention. I bought some bread to go with my goat cheese from a shop just next door.

A walk through this narrow street took me from the Borough Market to the Boardwalk along the river. There was also some dungeon museum along the way that attracted many families with small children. Just what I'd do with my kids on a Saturday afternoon--visit a lovely, historic London torture chamber.

Here is another shot of the streets behind the Borough Market.

Of course, as a literary scholar, I felt like I had to pay a visit to Shakespeare's Globe.

Though it felt like a veritable "tourist trap" in that over-eager guides practically dragged people in off the boardwalk for the tours, I did enjoy watching a sword-fighting demonstration, admiring pieces from the costume collection, and seeing the reconstructed venue where Shakespeare's plays were first produced.

After visiting the Globe, I headed over to Tate Modern where I spent several hours exploring both the permanent collection and the Beuys Exhibit. Here is a shot of the amazing Turbin Hall.

In addition to having several works by Beuys in their permanent collection, the Tate was hosting an exhibit dedicated to his work.

This is a shot of the Bankside boardwalk, which connects several of London's most famous sites, including London Bridge, The Globe Theatre, Tate Modern and St. Paul's Cathedral via the millennium footbridge. To be honest, I think the millennium bridge is kind of hideous. You judge for yourself!

The bridge was completed in 2002 by the architectural firm Foster and Partners. They describe it as "London’s only bridge solely for pedestrians and the first new Thames crossing since Tower Bridge in 1894." What I find most shameful about the bridge is that it actually obstructs the view of St. Paul's Cathedral. And, it cuts a rather harsh and ill-fitted swath across the river.

The Tate Modern also houses a little cafe that affords amazing views of the city. Here's a shot from the cafe balcony.

After visiting the Tate, I wandered over to London Bridge where I visited some of the shops in the area. I finally bought a watch to replace the one I'd lost and help keep me from missing any more important meetings! The watch was the only thing I bought as the exchange rate makes everything seem prohibitively expensive. Ah well. At least it's keeping me from filling up my suitcase.




Next, I visited the London Tower area and walked the periphery of the castle. I decided not to venture inside as it was getting late in the day and I wanted to ensure I had enough time to get back to the hotel and meet my friend.


2 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Stuart Boon said...

Great pictures. Looks like you saw the best bits of London. I've never been inside the Globe, but I'll have to get around to it. Hope it was as fun as it looks and sorry to have missed you this time out.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger AD Miller said...

I did manage to fit in some fun touring around even though most of my time was spent doing conference stuff. It would have been great to see you but given that Aviva is determined we go to London some time soon, let's hope we can meet up then! As you can tell, I decided to follow your lead and try using blogger to keep in touch with people. Though I registered an account ages ago, this is my first attempt to really get the blog going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?