Tuesday, January 24, 2006

NO Canada!!

I'm disappointed with my fellow Canadians today: Conservative Party member Stephen Harper is the new Prime Minister elect. I'm saddened to see that Canadians would elect Bush's bedfellow. And given that Harper was once a Reformer party member, a party that makes Pat Robertson look liberal and left-wing (ok. that's a slight exaggeration), I'm feeling rather disgusted with the outcome of the election. He has been a vocal opponent of gay marriage, and acted as the driving force behind a series of anti-gay marriage advertisements in January 2005. And considering his roots in the Canadian Alliance/Reform Party, we can expect increasingly conservative, pro-war, pro-GWBush, behaviors from Canada's capital. Sigh. So much for the idea that I can always escape the Bush administration by returning to more-liberal Canada.

2 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger AD Miller said...

Yes, let's hope that their minority status will keep the Con. Party in line. As a Canadian expatriate, I've had the luxury of watching American politics with a certain degree of superiority, thinking at least things look better in my home to the north. Now, who knows? Thanks for the link. The quiz is very interesting. Here's how my poltical compass turned out:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Stuart Boon said...

This is the first I have heard about the electron results, being in Scotland. And, having visited Canada at Christmas, I can't say that this comes as a surprise. Canadian politics is hilarious--in a hysterically useless kind of way. Although at least politicians in Canada don't have real power to throw behind their decisions. (As you can see, I am rather rabidly spiteful of the Canadian *ahem* "government").

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?