Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Satellite Mapping: More reliable than bread crumbs

Thanks to one of the Team in Training coaches, I just discovered Gmaps Pedometer and Map My Run. Now I can trace my running route and measure the distance travelled. After trying them both out, I've decided that I prefer the Map My Run interface. It seems a bit easier to manipulate and read. You can trace out your favorite routes and save them for future reference. And you can share them with the world if you so choose. The maps even include many pedestrian-only roads, like some of the ones around the University and the Erie Canal paths. And, since it will let you map "as the crow flies," you don't have to follow the roads. It was a surprise to discover that one of my favorite runs, which you can view here, is almost a full mile longer than I'd thought. Given the time it takes me to complete that run, I'd imagined it was just slightly more than five miles. Low and behold, it's actually 6.21. Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?