Friday, April 08, 2005

The Last Day in London

On Sunday, my last day in London, I met up with Aubrey and we payed a visit to two of London's famous markets: Spittlefields and the Brick Lane Market. Though neither of us bought a thing, it was really fun to wander off the beaten path a bit. I particularly enjoyed hearing the barkers try to attrack people to their stalls. One guy's line was particularly striking: "Don't be shy girls. Your mother wasn't." He then followed that up by saying to some girl who ignored him: "Pretty girl. Shame about the ugly fuckin' attitude." After browsing the stalls and having a bite to eat, we headed over to Piccadilly Square where we stopped and had tea at Fortnum and Mason.

Here's Aubrey doing her best to look sufficiently proper as she pours her tea.

As we walked away from Piccadilly Square, I noticed a sign that said: "Buckingham Palace," with a small arrow pointing left. I said to Aubrey, "how about that. Seems we've stumbled upon the palace." She replied, "I guess we should go see that, huh?" So, we went on a short walk to admire the Palace, crossing a beautiful lawn where dozens and dozens of people sat on lawn chairs.

I took a picture of this gate because it said "CANADA" on one of the pillars. I thought perhaps there were pillars to "honor" all of England's colonies but I couldn't find any other colony names on other pillars. How puzzling.

I just had to take a photo of a palace guard. I couldn't help but notice that his very modern machine gun clashed with his old-fashioned costume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?