Thursday, June 30, 2005

Note to Self: Limit Outdoor activities in 90F temps

Today, I decided to head off to the gym in an attempt to start shedding those extra pounds I gained while on vacation. My "brilliant" plan went like this: get Aviva to drop me off at the gym around 10am, spend about 45 minutes doing some abdominal exercises, upper-body free weights, and stretching, then run home. So after finishing with the weights etc, I started off running along the Bausch and Lomb river valley path, a well- shaded asphalt trail that snakes through campus. I then continued along Mount Hope and onto Elmwood Avenue. What I hadn't counted on were the nasty effects of the oppressive heat and humidity. To make matters worse, that last leg of the run was in full sun and I eventually had to stop due to the heat. I felt dizzy, my fingers were swelling up like sausages, and I was drenched in sweat. I was forced to walk the remainder of the route, which turned a 45 minute run into a 90 minute walk. Lesson learned. As long as the heat persists, I'll either run at the crack of dawn or stick to the boring but air-conditioned indoor track.

1 Comments:

At 4:12 AM, Blogger Stuart Boon said...

Heat exhaustion is truly nasty. Both Michele and I suffered from it on our last trip to Scotland. The only solution seemed to be drink loads of water and head for the shade. I particularly hate the dizziness. Hope you are feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?