Sunday, July 10, 2005

Why am I me, and not you?

Last night, I went to see Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire at the Dryden, the theatre at the George Eastman House . It had been over ten years since I first saw Wenders' film on the big screen, and at least six since I'd watched some lousy VHS copy of it at a friend's house. So, enough time had passed for it to seem new to me. Then again, nothing can compare to the first viewing of a film you really love, nothing can bring you back to that naive sense of awe. My first encounter with Wings of Desire occurred when I was in college, a sophomore, when my eyes were still wide open enough to allow me to frequently experience art, literature and film as "life-changing" experiences. I saw Desire for a class, one that also introduced me to the likes of Bergman, Bunuel, Godard, Deren, Jarman. I was immediately entranced by the film's haunting, mostly monochromatic imagery, its black undercurrent of dissatisfaction and angst, its meditative qualities, its subtle spirituality and persistent, sentimental faith in humanity. Watching it at 19, I was like the poetic child Damiel longs to become; it felt like I was seeing the world in colour for the first time. This time around, however, I had to actively try to be like Damiel, to say "ah" and "oh," rather than "yes" and "amen." Although I still find its beauty uterely entrancing, I can''t help but fall short of the mark; experience has left me less wide-eyed, made the colours seem a bit less vivid. On the other hand, my recent trip to Berlin added a new hue to my understanding of the film. Having seen some of Berlin's streets, read about its history while standing next to its monuments, I can now engage with Wings of Desire as a "haunting documentary" of the city itself, a phrase I'd often seen used to describe the film but one I had not fully undestood, until tonight.

4 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Blogger Stuart Boon said...

For reasons I cannot remember, I know that I have only seen the second half of 'Wings of Desire,' but what you wrote struck a cord. Age and experience changes everything. And often it's a double-edged sword.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Aviva said...

The beauty and vividness of your prose never ceases to amaze me, Lil. So intense. So fluid. Now I desperately want to see "Wings of Desire" again, but through your eyes at 19. And I desperately wish my eyes had ever been that wide open.

This is this most moving description (published authors included) I've read in a long time, especially:

Watching it at 19, I was like the poetic child Damiel longs to become; it felt like I was seeing the world in colour for the first time.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger AD Miller said...

Stuart, you really must see the first half. Wings of Desire is really an amazing film. And if you intend to go to Berlin sometime soon, as you mentioned in one of your comments, it will provide you with plenty of inspiration and food for thought before you go.

Aviva, you really are too sweet. I blame the wide-eyed-ness on genetics. I used to get teased about having "cow eyes" as a kid--though cows rarely seem moved or impressed by anything they stare at with those saucer-like orbits.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Stuart Boon said...

I will do, believe me. Berlin is definitely in our plans, and thanks again for the pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?